- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1//2-3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir to dissolve yeast and sugar. Then let sit about 10 minutes until frothy.
- whisk in the oil, yogurt and egg until combined.
- In separate bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt.
- add the wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir to combine.
- continue to add 1/2 cup flour at a time until you can no longer mix with a spoon, about 1-1 1/2 cups.
- Now turn the dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes until smooth. The dough needs to be very smooth but not sticky.
- cover the dough and let rise in warm place for about an hour.
- After dough has risen place on floured surface again and divide into 8 pieces.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. (I use my cast iron skillet) working with one piece of dough at a time, roll dough into disc about 1/4" thick and 6" in diameter.
- Place the rolled out dough onto hot skillet and cook until bottom is golden brown and bubbles have formed on the surface. Flip dough and cook until golden brown
- Stack the flatbreads on plate. Serve as is or brush with melted butter, sprinkle with fresh herbs, use for sandwiches, roll ups, personal pizzas and much more.